3 New Vegan Friendly Restaurants in Chicago to Check Out in January 2017
1. True Food Kitchen: This casual and comfortable restaurant located in River North has lots of seating and something for everyone. It’s kid friendly and the waitstaff are phenomenal. The space is large and open with calming colors and lots of greenery. My vegan favorites are the Butternut Squash pizza and the Teriyaki Quinoa Bowl. The vegan Kale Guacamole is also delicious and buttery. There are cocktails and also sparkling wine as well as several vegan dessert options. The vegan Apple Crisp topped with vegan ice cream will not disappoint you! It’s not hard to get reservations any night of the week.
2. Kal’ish: This all vegan fast food spot has comfort food that everyone can enjoy. It’s located in Uptown and also does breakfast items. They have limited seating and food can be ordered to go if you’d rather eat at home. I tried the Pesto Verde Meatball Sandwich, the Chili Cheese Fries, and a Vegan Rice Crispy Treat which were all decadent and hit the spot. I would go back to try one of their burgers or the vegan meatloaf.
3. Bad Hunter: This West Loop hot spot has been packed since its doors opened! It’s the perfect mix of clientele from all over the city and the Indie music in the background is always good. You can grab a seat at the bar and order a full meal without a reservation or too much fuss. Their wine list is fantastic (I especially love the Cremant!). and they have at least a dozen craft cocktails. My favorite vegan dishes are the Charred Romanesco and the Squash Tartine. Make sure you ask for their separate vegan menu. They also have a vegan Red Curry Squash Tart for dessert that’s very unique. This is definitely my favorite restaurant at the moment and I love the unpretentious, slightly hipster vibe.
Vegan Gift Guide:
10 cruelty free gifts for vegans of all ages.
- Non-toxic, soy based crayon rocks are the perfect gift for the budding artist.
2. These Cruelty Free and Eco-Friendly Make Up Brushes are high quality minus the animal hair. They travel easily in their own case.
Eco Bamboo Kabuki Makeup Brush Tool Set – 10 Pcs – Cruelty-Free Vegan Professional Quality Cosmetic Brushes in Travel Organizer Bag – New Leaf Products
3. This super warm women’s synthetic down jacket from The North Face is cruelty free and comes in many different colors.
The North Face Thermoball EV Jacket – Women’s TNF Black Small
4. This belt from the Vegan Collection is the perfect cruelty free gift for your favorite guy.
5. I love the striking blue color and double zip design of this vegan wallet from Matt and Nat.
6. These bamboo toothbrushes are 100% biodegradable and BPA free!
Bamboo Toothbrush For Adults With Medium Soft On Gums BPA Free Nylon Bristles – 15 Degree Curve – Pack of 4 Brushes – Eco Friendly And 100% Biodegradable
7. This tofu press makes tofu prep super easy by squeezing out moisture in one easy step.
EZ Tofu Press – Removes Water from Tofu for Better Flavor and Texture.
8. Gaim’s yoga mat bag is stylish, comfy, and will keep your mat dry. It also comes in 4 colors.
Gaiam Yoga Mat Tote Bag, Citron Sundial
9. LivWell Nutrition’s protein powder is delicious, vegan, gluten free, and comes in eco-friendly packaging. It has 17 grams of non-soy, non-GMO protein per scoop. Use the code EPICUREAN for a 10% discount.
10. Organic cotton nut milk bag and food strainer. This reusable bag makes DIY nut milk super easy.
Organic Cotton Nut Milk Bag – Super Smooth Almond Milk Maker – No Seam Bottom, Drawstring Free – Reusable Food Strainer for Yogurt, Cheese Cloth, Juice, Tea, Coffee & More – Natural and Eco-Friendly
This beautiful, affordable, and practical bag comes in four perfect colors. I was so excited to come upon this bag while shopping in Barcelona last week. It’s cruelty free but has the look of leather. I haven’t visited Mango in a while but really loved their jeans and accessories. I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for more cruelty free accessories from Mango. This bag is great as a work tote but can be neatly transformed for after work activities as well. Happy toting!
My sisters and I have been life long fans of the Marley family. We’ve been listening to Bob Marley and Ziggy Marley since we were kids. Ziggy’s tour comes to Chicago every year and we never miss a show. This year, he released this wonderful cookbook which I bought at the concert. It has quite a few vegan options. I love the stories behind the recipes and the photographs are beautiful! Ziggy also has a line of organic coconut oil and hemp seeds. You can find his organic products at www.ziggymarleyorganics.com
Faux Leather Pleated Midi Skirt – Fall 2016
I found this adorable faux leather skirt at J. Crew. It’s perfect for fall!
My favorite cruelty free, sulfite free hair products by R+Co!
I swear by the R+Co Park Ave Blow Out Balm, 5 oz. to tame frizz without weighing my hair down.
R+Co Vicious Strong Hold Flexible Hairspray, 9.5 oz. is long lasting, smells amazing, and tames fly aways.
My favorite vegan friendly Chicago restaurants:
- Sophisticated vegan and vegetarian dining: The Green Zebra
- Vegan comfort food (minimal seating) with a focus on seitan: Upton’s Breakroom
- Amazing all raw entrees, desserts, snacks, juice to go: Raw Chicago
- For the vegan diner experience: The Chicago Diner
- Convenient and fast vegan food (chain): Native Foods Cafe
- Phenomenal vegan and vegetarian food in a hip neighborhood: Mana Food Bar
- Vegan friendly fast casual (chain): Lyfe Kitchen
- Vegan friendly baked goods (small selection): Beatrix
- For vegan friendly meal service (limited selection, chain): Snap Kitchen