Cauliflower, French bread, and Truffle oil are three of my favorite foods. So, I thought it would be fun to combine all three to make a tasty appetizer. These savory crostinis are perfect to serve before dinner with friends and can be paired with a white wine. They’re bite-sized and definitely packed with flavor! The cauliflower spread can be prepared ahead of time for faster assembly before guests arrive. I used La Rustichella brand truffle oil which is made from black truffles and extra virgin olive oil (imported from Italy).
Truffled Cauliflower Crostini
- 1 French Baguette
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (see instructions to roast entire bulb below)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower florets (about half a head or 1lb)
- 2 tbs vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 tbs truffle oil
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 450F. Toss cauliflower florets with about 4 tbs. olive oil. Spread evenly on baking sheet and roast in oven for about 20 min. Or, steam cauliflower for about 15 minutes until soft.
Lower oven temperature to 400F. Remove outer layers of garlic. Cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the garlic. Pour 4 tbs. olive oil over the garlic and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place garlic on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 50 minutes. (Tip: This recipe only requires 4 cloves of garlic. You may want to save the unused portion for other recipes).
Lower oven temperature to 300F. Cut baguette into 1/2 inch thick slices (approximately 20). Brush both sides with olive oil. Place baguette slices in oven for about 5 minutes until crispy arond the edges.
While the bread is in the oven, place cauliflower florets in a food processor or blender and purée until almost a smooth consistency. Add roasted garlic, truffle oil, vegan butter, salt, and pepper and purée for another 30 seconds until smooth.
Remove the bread from oven and spread enough of the cauliflower mixture to cover each slice. Sprinkle chopped chives on top of each crostini before serving.
- Estimated calories for each crostini: 150-200 calories each
- Approximately 45 calories per serving of cauliflower spread (when divided into 20 servings)
- French Bread: approximately 130-150 calories per slice depending on thickness (this may vary quite a bit depending on type and size of baguette)