If you’re a fan of traditional eggnog, you’re going to love this version! It’s creamy, thick, rich, and flavorful. The cashews make a fantastic (and healthier) substitute for egg yolks in this recipe. You can soften them quickly by soaking them in about 1 cup of hot water for 30 minutes. This makes blending them a lot easier and faster. You can skip the alcohol or add either bourbon or rum. This drink is just absolutely delicious and festive. You’ll need a high powered blender such as a Vitamix for best results. Freshly grated, whole nutmeg is the most flavorful and fragrant but nutmeg powder also works really well. It’s easy to grate whole nutmeg using a microplane grater. Happy Holidays!
- 2 cups cold unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pitted dates (about 6)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in 1 cup hot water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) Bourbon or rum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg + more for garnish (freshly ground recommended)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg and serve cold.
- Calories per cup (without alcohol): 245 cal