It’s been a while since I’ve made classic chili. This one really hits the spot! It’s got a variety of beans and bold, spicy flavor. It’s really quick to make and will please a crowd. This cozy dish is great for a weeknight dinner or even for a tail gate or game night. Most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry. The cilantro and lime make it taste really fresh and bright. Chili is just really satisfying when it’s cold outside. This one goes really well with cornbread or tortilla strips. It’s also fantastic on its own or served on top of fries or a vegan hot dog.
This is a great recipe to make if you’re looking for a way to get some extra plant based protein. The three different varieties of beans are also a great source of fiber. I like adding vegan beef crumbles for the texture but you can leave them out if you’re not a fan or substitute with a cup of cooked quinoa instead. This chili is super delicious with my cheesy vegan nachos recipe. Just pour the chili on top for a scrumptious appetizer. This spicy, rich chili really warmed me up. If you make it, make sure you take a picture and tag @thefriendlyepicurean on Instagram or Facebook or Pin the recipe on Pinterest.
Three Bean Vegan Chili
- 1, 15 oz can of black beans
- 1, 15 oz can of pinto beans
- 1, 15 oz can of kidney beans
- 2, 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes (such as Muir Glen brand)
- 2 Tofurkey sausages, crumbled (or 1, 10 oz. package of vegan beef crumble such as Beyond Meat brand)
- 1.5 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (or substitute 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups water)
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more to taste
- lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- 3 tbs chopped fresh cilantro, for serving (optional)
- 1, 12 oz. package of vegan sour cream, for serving (optional)
DirectionsHeat olive oil in a medium-large Dutch oven or large sauce pan on medium heat. Add onions and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cumin and saute for another 3-4 minutes. Add red bell pepper, jalapeno, and vegan crumbles and cook for about 5 minutes or until vegan beef crumbles are heated through. Next, add diced tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, and salt and cook for about 4 minutes. Add the beans and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Finally, add vegetable broth and simmer for about 20 minutes. Some the liquid will be absorbed and chili will thicken. Season with more salt to taste, if desired. Serve with lime wedges, chopped cilantro, and vegan sour cream. May store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Approximate calories per 1/6 of chili recipe: 336 cal
- Approximate protein per 1/6 of chili recipe: 22 grams